Saturday, February 16, 2008

Winter Stinks


I must say I am beginning to feel like Jack Nicholson in The Shining*, when he goes crazy all holed up in that hotel for the winter. I'm one red marker away from writing "REDRUM" all over my unfinished bathroom** walls. (If you haven't seen The Shining, then you have no idea what I'm talking about and that is good.) While I haven't gone that far off the deep end, I do have the worst case of cabin fever I've had in awhile and I was seriously considering painting the larger part of my house yellow yesterday. But anyone who knows me, knows I despise winter. January and February have been two very long, grueling months for me for as long as I can remember. Reading through my old journals is a testiment to this. I don't feel I've left much valuable information for my posterity since most of my personal history includes pages and pages of complaining about winter coupled with an annual countdown*** until spring. For example, if my great grandchildren want to know how many days there were until spring on February 1, 1989...look no further than my personal journal. But what about January 14th, 1995? Don't worry, that's in there too.
I'm pretty sure my dis-taste for winter is increasing as I get older. Afterall, as a kid at least I got an occasional snow day or a class valentines' party to off set the winter blues. I'm thinking this increasing dis-taste with age must be somewhat normal though. Why else would retired folks move to the sun belt? They have had enough! By the time I'm 65 I think I will for sure have had enough. Quite frankly, I think at 27 I have had enough.
-----
*This post is in no way an endorsement for this film. It is quite possibly the scariest movie I have ever seen and it is rated R.

**Bathroom update: It looks the same as it did last Saturday. The drywall guy is supposed to come today so we can get this ball rolling!

***There are 33 days until the first official day of spring. But who's counting?

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Ohhhh, how I hate that movie. Seriously one of the scariest movies I have ever seen. But having said that I can totally relate with your comparison of this movie and how much I am so sick of winter too. I can't wait to see you bathroom all finished.

Anonymous said...

Ask me about the sunny southwest!