Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I Love Your Style: Pam

Remember my little style series? I can't believe it's been almost a year since I posted a feature! Well, I'm happy to announce that I have two new ladies to introduce you to this week. The first is my friend Pam. She and I share a love for cardigans, opaque tights and flowery corsages and headbands. She has a knack for putting together outfits that are fun and flattering and she always seems to have a necklace and the perfect pair of shoes for every outfit. Welcome Pam!

How would you describe or define
your current style?
Kind of a hybrid of geek chic and 1950's housewife.

What inspires you and the way you dress?
TV and movies. All the way. I am a total pop culture junkie.

Do you have any fashion icons or people whose style you love?
Yes! I love Emma Pillsbury (Glee) and Annie Edison (Community).

What are some of your favorite places to shop?
I love to bargain hunt, but I have a tendency to lean toward pricier designers so TJ Maxx is usually my best bet. I always find great tops and shoes there. I have a more difficult time with jeans. For those, I usually stick to Kohl's or JCPenney. I am pretty partial to Levis.

You are quite the bargain shopper. Can you give any tips or tricks for finding a great deal?
I never pay retail for ANYTHING! I always hit end of season sales, clearance racks, and bargain retailers. If you have something specific in mind, don't look for it on a clearance rack though. It always ends in heartache.

Do you feel there are any splurge worthy items---things you are willing to spend more money on?
Good bras and a good-fitting pair of jeans. I'll spend more on something if I know that I'll use it often enough to get my money's worth.

What items in your closet do you keep coming back to year after year?
Cardigans. I love them. They're so flexible. You can make a cardigan work with just about anything.
What are some of your favorite outfits/combinations?
I like sweaters paired with big chunky belts. Plaid bermuda shorts. Anything polka dots. The whole "boyfriend" cardigan look has been one of my more recent favorites, especially when paired with some Chuck Taylor's and a cute pair of jeans.

Are there any trends you are looking forward to?
I've seen a lot of wide-leg pants recently and I think it's a good look. I am really curvy, so pants with wider bottoms tend to balance out my curves.

Can you share with us any recent favorite purchases?
Recently I bought the CUTEST jacket from JCPenney. And it was on clearance for $4!

Anything you are planning/would like to purchase in the near future?
I saw the most beautiful red maxi dress by BCBG Max Azria. It had perfect little ruffle details. And then I saw a pair of strappy red espadrilles. I've been thinking about how great it would look paired with a simple white tee and some long, dangly necklaces. Or maybe a flower headband. I can't get it out of my head. It's been tempting me.

What advice would you give someone who is trying to find their own personal style or spruce up their current look?
I think the best thing you can do is find what looks flattering on you. Just because something looks great on one person doesn't mean that it will on someone else.

Thanks for sharing your style Pam and congrats on your engagement!
(Love those polka dot shoes!)

For more words of style wisdom see past my past features of katie, ruth & lauren hutton.

1 comment:

Autumn said...

What can I say, its been a while-catching up here.

I love the tip about looking for something specific and heartache at the clearance rack.

Cute pictures of Sparky (well Spencer with Sparky anyway.)