Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Triple Layer Chocolate Cake

Pretty cakes always make me happy. I made this one: a triple layer devil's food cake for Valentines day using a boxed cake mix (I swear, boxed cakes always taste better than cakes from scratch) and this yummy frosting recipe from Martha Stewart. I highly recommend. The frosting turns out thick and shiny so it is easy to work with. It is also really rich so don't forget to serve it with a big glass of milk!

Note: The frosting recipe makes quite a bit so if I were to make it again I might consider altering the recipe to make less. I used 3/4 of it but had a little more than a cup left over when all was said and done.

5 comments:

Autumn said...

I have SUCH a hard time with frosting. It always sucks up the crumbs no matter how hot I get the knife. I did make a V day cake and the only way I avoided crumbs was by putting way too much frosting on and pouring it on, not spreading it...maybe I should try this. Pretty cake stand!

kcb said...

yumm-y. a slice of that cake would've gone nicely with my black and tan sundae last night. :-)

jt said...

I'm sorry, but it is a complete affront to me that you say a boxed cake is always better! The horrors! You must not have had any good scratch cakes, because I think that is ludicrous! Sorry. I have strong opinions. Especially about cakes.

Kim said...

Jessie- Maybe I need to try some of your famous family recipes. I have only tried a couple of from-scratch cakes (Martha recipes) and they have turned out a dry and bland. Maybe it's time to give it another go.

Kim said...

autumn-
I'm no cake professional but I've heard that freezing the cake layers and then frosting them while they are frozen eliminates the crumb issue. :)