Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Garden Taco Rice

I love this recipe. It has rightfully earned a special place on my blog because I enjoy it so much. It is a summer time staple at our house because it is yummy, easy to make and it's the best way to use up zucchini from the garden. Enjoy!

Garden Taco Rice
1 lb. ground beef or turkey
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 pkg. taco seasoning mix
1 1/2 cups water
1 1 /2 cups chopped zucchini
1 cup frozen corn (I use canned)
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
(If I want it spicier, I sometimes use diced tomatoes with green chiles.)
1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
4 oz. (1 cup) shredded cheese

In a large skillet, brown ground beef and onion; drain. Stir in remaining ingredients except rice and cheese; bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 5-7 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Fluff mixture with a fork and sprinkle with cheese. Cover and let stand three minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with cilantro, cherry tomatoes or we especially like it with avocado.
(This recipe also tastes good served with sour cream, tortilla chips or when used as filling for burritos.)

5 comments:

Preeces said...

Kay,
You gave me that recipe a while ago, and we love it! Adam asks for it! How come you are so talented? And why are you eating lite mayo? Marci

Vanessa said...

i am excited to try this one, i've heard lots about it!

Jocelyn said...

That one sounds awesome. I'll be eating it this week. And a lot in the summer when our garden is overflowing with zucchini.

Autumn said...

I think this is one you shared with us before maybe? If it is, we tried it and loved it.

Jessica said...

Oh yummy!! I love recipes that have Zucchini in them. Thanks for posting this. I am so excited to try it out.