I have been MIA since the end of July! Yikes. As it turns out, three kiddos are keeping me pretty busy and I am having a hard time making time for blogging. Although I hate catch up posts, they are, unfortunately, a necessary evil. Here are a few things I've been up to since my last missive:
- Caroline broke her arm at the beginning of August. (not badly, but still sort of traumatic none-the-less.)
- We tried to savor every last bit of summer we could, even though Caroline's arm splint put a damper on our outdoor water activities. :(
- Mitchell turned six!
- I turned 31! As a naive child/teenager, there were a few things I thought would be different about my thirties. First, I thought i would be heavier. I really am pleasantly surprised I've been able to stay fit. Second, I thought I would have a lot more money. I am realizing now that becoming a millionaire is a lot harder than I originally thought. :) Also, I thought for sure I would be done getting zits. (What's up with that?)
- I am home schooling Mitchell. So far so good. It was a little rough at the beginning but we've gotten into a routine and things are going well. I started thinking about it because I'm sort of anti all-day kindergarten. I don't think it's horrible, just a waste of time. Also, I read, Well Trained Mind: A guide to classical education at home and watched Waiting for Superman, a documentary on public education in America in the same week. (Bad combo if you feel like you want to home school and are trying to talk yourself out of it!) However, if you are thinking about it, I'm definitely no expert but, I would recommend the Well Trained Mind. I put together a simple curriculum based on their recommendations.
- We made a bunch of homemade applesauce-delicious!
- I am playing tennis again! I played tennis growing up, including on my high school tennis team. It is something I love but for one reason or another, (being pregnant, having no money, having no one to play with, being pregnant again...) I haven't done in a long time. Lucky for me, Marietta has a really well organized community tennis association so I've been playing on their women's league and have met some fun new people to play with. My game is still sort of rusty but it's slowly coming back and it feels great to whack some yellow felt around even if it is just for a few hours each week.
- We spent a relaxing weekend watching our church's semi-annual general conference. A weekend full of spiritual enlightenment and encouragement. What? You missed it? No worries. It's all archived, here. Seriously, even if you are not LDS, you should watch some of it. It is so good! Try this talk and this talk.
-Spencer turned four! (In case you are wondering, his cake is supposed to be a rocket ship. Unfortunately, it had a few mechanical/structural malfunctions and toppled over several times before we sang happy birthday. It was pretty sad looking by the time the picture was snapped!)
- A few of my old thrift store revival projects have been buzzing around Pinterest. If you are here from Pinterest and have read this far, welcome! Unfortunately, I didn't do tutorials for most of those projects so you won't find them on the site. Sorry! :)
That's all the major happenings around our house. It seems like it suddenly turned into fall this week; the leaves are beautiful and Halloween is just a few short weeks away. Hopefully I can get back to blogging on a more regular basis soon! :)
P.S. I changed the template on my blog and I don't like it. However, I don't know how to change it back. Boooo!